[gst-devel] please help: gst-ffmpeg fails to build with amr support

Forest Wilkinson [gstreamer] ywhayiz02 at sneakemail.com
Tue Dec 27 11:21:12 CET 2005

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas-at-apestaart.org |gstreamer| wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 17:50 -0800, Forest Wilkinson [gstreamer] wrote:
>
>>Since the amr plugin from gst-plugins-ugly isn't working
>
> What makes you think it does not work ?

Because the qtdemux and AMR modules do not agree on the media type, and
although I'm trying to follow Ronald's hints about fixing that, it has so
far only yielded a seg fault.

>>, as a parallel
>>effort, I'm trying to get gst-ffmpeg built with amr support.  I downloaded
>>and extracted the amr libraries into gst-ffmpeg-0.10.0/gst-libs/ext/
>>ffmpeg/libavcodec/amr_float/ and passed the --enable-amr_nb switch to
>>configure.  Unfortunately, the build fails:
>
> If you're going to manually hack the build of gst-ffmpeg, you need to be
> able to figure out build problems yourself.  The point of gst-ffmpeg is
> to have a known-good snapshot of ffmpeg that works with gstreamer.

I'm trying, and I believe I have figured out the build problem:  It looks
like someone completely deleted amr.c from gstreamer's ffmpeg snapshot.
Since that person probably was not me or the ffmpeg folks, I'm looking
here for help.

Can anyone here tell me why amr.c is missing from the ffmpeg snapshot,
and/or the best way to get AMR support back in there?

I have tried using fresh ffmpeg sources, but they are so different from
what gst-ffmpeg expects that it's an exercise in frustration.  I guess I
can try grafting a current amr.c back into the gst-ffmpeg distribution,
but this would be easier if I had some direction.