[gst-devel] gst-player configure problem

Stefan Kost kost at imn.htwk-leipzig.de
Sat Jan 29 09:04:29 CET 2005

Hi Robert,

I use SuSE 9.2 partially. Your problems are well knon to me. But its not
GStreamers fault. I have already written a thousand mails to SuSE about *.pc
files. They always keep forgetting to include them in their devel packages.
I have several hand-written ones on my system.
In this specific case gstreamer ist not requiring libart itself, but packages
gst requires requiring libart.
So gst does not need to add it to the list. As a quick fix I recommend to you
had-writing it (if libart-devel is instannd and the pc files is missing).

My personal conclusion is that SuSE is a user-system, maybe a server system, but
it is not good for development.

Stefan

PS.: version 9.2 is quite okay, only a few packages were broken, but be sure to
install from DVD, the CD version silently misses some devel packages.

Robert Osfield wrote:
> Hi Ronald,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply.
>
> On Saturday 29 January 2005 10:51, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
>
>>You make some mistakes here. Don't compile yourself, it's a hell. We
>>know. Don't do it. Simply use packages. We provide packages for all
>>dependencies on our website, plus all gst packages. Secondly, gst-player
>>is deprecated and unmaintained, don't use it. Use totem.
>

> You provide packages for Fedora and RedHat, but... the not all the world uses
> either of these...
>
> I am currently on a Suse9.0 system, I also have Suse9.1 system here, and will
> install 64 bit version of Suse9.1 and Suse9.2 version.  My user community
> also uses Windows, many flavours of Linux, OSX as well as FreeBSD, IRIX etc.
>
> I realise I probably won't be able to support all these options, at an
> absolute bare minimum I need to support the various flavours of Linux, and
> ideally the rest of the platforms, in particular Windows and OSX.  It appears
> from the Gstreamer website that it might port to these platforms, but there
> isn't any packages, so source code compile I presume is a must.
>
> Now, just installing stuff from source *shouldn't* be difficult, if it is
> difficult then perhaps its something that needs to be addressed if the
> Gstreamer project is to be a successful as open source/free software world is
> crying out for a good cross platform, multi-media development toolkit.
>
> If gst-player is deprecated only works with certain version of gstreamer etc
> would it be possible to add mention of this in the online documentation, and
> mention totem instead.  Or perhaps just provide a bare bones application to
> test that the GStreamer libraries and plugins are functioning.
>
> I'll try out totem and see how I get on.
>
> Cheers,
> Robert.

      \|/            Stefan Kost
     <@ @>           private            business