[gst-devel] high-level sound API for gstreamer?

cascardo at holoscopio.com cascardo at holoscopio.com
Sun Oct 29 16:24:36 CET 2006

On Sun, Oct 29, 2006 at 04:09:24PM +0100, Andreas R?sdal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have previously tried to use gstreamer for playing .ogg files in
> gnome-games, and I'm looking for a high-level sound API for playing .ogg
> files.
> SDL_mixer already has a single function, where you pass the filename of
> the ogg sound source, and SDL_mixer will instantly begin playing it. Very
> simple! As far as I can tell, there is no such functionality for paying
> sounds in gstreamer. The last time I tried, several 100 lines of
> complicated code had to be written.
>
> So, what is the most simple way to play an .ogg files using gstreamer in
> gnome-games?
>
>   - Andreas

Right now, I guess writing 100 lines of C code, using playbin is the
most simple way.

However, I've read about porting GNOME API for playing sounds from ESD
to GStreamer. In this article, http://live.gnome.org/GStreamer/esd, what
you want is the play_file API.

Since I've made many promises already to this list, and my sound card
has just break, I wouldn't like to commit myself right now to do this
task. Besides, it seems there are some patches around (see in the
article).

Regards,
Thadeu Cascardo.