[gst-devel] RTSP describe/announce, .sdp generation ?

Wim Taymans wim.taymans at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 13:28:56 CEST 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-02 at 20:29 +0200, Florent wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to send frames to various streaming servers from gstreamer.
> These tools need an .sdp file to work when no auto-announce mechanism
> is available. So far i got no success at all, trying:
>
> gst-launch-0.10 videotestsrc ! capsfilter caps="video/x-raw-yuv,
> format=(fourcc)I420, width=(int)640, height=(int)480,
> framerate=(fraction)30/1" ! queue ! x264enc byte-stream=true
> bitrate=500 ! rtph264pay ! udpsink port=5000 host=127.0.0.1 sync=false

Use sync=true or set videotestsrc as a live source (with is-live=true),
there is no point in dumping data onto the network as fast as possible.

> I'm trying to get an overview on how gstreamer does (if it already
> does) handle SDP annoucement or file generation. I looked into the
> gst-plugins-good/test/examples/rtp/client-H264.sdp file, yet i see
> nothing related to sdp server/sender files...

There is no SDP announcement done in GStreamer, this is up to the
application. GStreamer provides enough information to actually generate
SDP messages (see links below).

> Is there documentation regarding RTSP / SDP handling somewhere ?

This link has information for turning the caps into an SDP message:
http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-plugins-good/gst/rtp/README?revision=1.13&view=markup
This link has information on how to make an RTSP server:
http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-plugins-good/gst/rtsp/README?revision=1.5&view=markup

> Did anyone manage to stream to darwin streaming server for instance ?

I think someone tried it before but never heard anything back.

> Is the client-H264.sdp file suitable for publishing streams ?

yes, if you run the server and launch, for example, vlc (or gstreamer)
with the client sdp file, it should start receiving.

Wim