[gst-devel] Writing a Video Sink and using hardware decoders.

Edward Hervey bilboed at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 11:25:04 CET 2009

Hi,

On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 10:29 +0100, Daniel James Laird wrote:
> I am new to gstreamer and am writing my first plugin.
>
> The hardware I am running on is the NXP PNX8X3X hardware.  This has an
> embedded video decoder (most usual video codecs) and a closed video
> pipe.
>

> This means I am looking to write a gstreamer plugin that allows the
> following:
>
> FileSrc- > Demux (qtdemux or other) -> My plugin.
>

> This would seem to suggest that my plugin is a Video Sink, however my
> plugin is also a Codec and Decoder as well.  Is this possible?
>
> Or do I need to split the plugin into a  Codec/Decoder and a Video
> Sink?

  It would be better to have separate decoders and videosinks, since
this would allow a greater range of gstreamer-based application to run
on your device, or to insert elements between your decoder and sink.

  You can still write a non-raw sink using GstBaseSink. The only thing
you will have to properly handle is the synchronization/clocking.

  I don't think we have non-raw sinks in gst-plugins- though to serve as
examples.