[gst-devel] problems multipart jpeg to vlc

john oliver johnwpoliver at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 22 18:13:38 CEST 2009

Hi there,

I'm having trouble streaming a multipart jpeg encoded file to VLC, using a gst app spawned from an RTSP/SDP process.

The gst-launch pipeline works ok ..

sender
gst-launch-0.10 -v filesrc location=~/Videos/POTC.mjpg ! multipartdemux ! rtpjpegpay ! udpsink port=1234 host=127.0.0.1

receiver
gst-launch-0.10 -v udpsrc uri=udp://127.0.0.1:1234   caps="application/x-rtp, media=(string)video, clock-rate=(int)90000, encoding-name=(string)JPEG, payload=(int)96, ssrc=(guint)1538011841, clock-base=(guint)924217442, seqnum-base=(guint)30638"  ! rtpjpegdepay ! jpegdec   !   videoscale ! xvimagesink

However, using VLC to connect to an rtsp process which spawns off an application which builds the above pipeline, things don't quite work. In wireshark I can see the rtsp session ( and it species the caps shown above), and it seems to be working ok. And I can see the MJPEG packets being sent to the VLC host, however VLC doesn't display them as they are received. Whenever I terminate both the rtp and rtsp applications on the sender host (using kill -15) VLC finally wakes up and displays a short burstr of frames from the start of the clip.

I'd appreciate it if anybody can give me any clues. I have the same issues when I put the use a jpeg in other containers as well.

John