[gst-devel] Use of custom buffer_alloc function

Daniel James Laird daniel.j.laird at nxp.com
Tue Mar 10 18:53:17 CET 2009

All,

I am looking at overriding the buffer_alloc function so that my sin kcan provide DMA able memory to the upstream demuxes.
I can see various example of this(x[v]imagesink) but I have a couple of questions.

1. If the upstream component asks for a given size and I am unable to give that size, can I return a buffer of a different size and will it then come back and ask for another buffer that it can use for the remainder of the data?

I ask this as I am hoping to not bother with a memory manager and just use 2K buckets, however if the upstream demux asks for a 4K packet can I get it to split that request into 2 buffers of 2K or do I have to fail the request.
2.) In which case does it fall back to g_malloc?

Hope you can help
Daniel Laird