[gst-devel] how to cleanly re-install gstreamer? Help!!

Sean McNamara smcnam at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 17:40:44 CEST 2009

Generally it's not a good idea to switch out a different version of
the GStreamer core under the feet of installed plugins. When you do
that, you should rebuild the plugins.

I'm assuming you are on Linux since you use Synaptic Package Manager.

You have two options to recover a working gstreamer installation:

1. Reinstall all gstreamer packages from the package manager. You will
lose the ability to use gst-rtsp-server and your compiled gstreamer
core will be overwritten with what's in the package manager. Figuring
out the names of every gstreamer package in order to reinstall them is
a question you should ask to your Linux distribution support channel.

2. Compile all the desired gstreamer plugins from source. This will
overwrite any plugins with the same names from the package manager.
Also, if you ever allow your package manager to apply a software
"update" to your gstreamer packages, it will happily overwrite your
work. To prevent that, you may want to place a "hold" on these
packages to indicate they should not be upgraded. Again, a question
for your distribution support. For this option you'll also need the
development packages of the plugins' many dependencies. Depending on
how thorough your distribution is, this method could take a lot of
work.

GStreamer is just a set of files -- shared libraries, mostly. Treat it
as such. A "clean install", intuitively, consists of deleting all the
current files and installing new ones to replace them. If you use your
package manager, it does that automatically and lets you think of it
in terms of "installed" and "uninstalled" (an unnecessary abstraction
for this case). If you compile from source, you're just overwriting
the files that the package manager claims to have "installed".

-Sean