[gst-devel] Audio waveform

Stefan Kost ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Tue Apr 20 10:41:57 CEST 2010

Dave Mateer wrote:
> I'm new to gstreamer, and hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I need to provide a waveform image of audio (voice recordings) in my application. I can see how to sample the "level" plugin to get a volume form (this, I think, is what Jokoshur is doing), but wasn't sure what plugin would provide the data to draw my own waveform that shows frequency, amplitude, etc. I have looked briefly at the following plugins, but there's just not enough information to know what they do for sure:
>
>  - monoscope: unless the documentation is severely absent, there are no options to configure the output.
>  - waveformsink: doesn't look like what I need, although perhaps it might play a part in a larger solution.
>  - wavenc: again, perhaps this might be part of a solution?
>
> Thanks for your help!

In buzztard I load the waveforms to memory and have a gtk-widget that
draws the waveform:
http://www.buzztard.org/index.php/File:Bt-edit-0.4.0-02.png

I have a memory audiosrc to replay the audio from memory.
http://buzztard.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/buzztard/trunk/buzztard/src/ui/edit/btmemoryaudiosrc.c?view=markup

Simillar thing could be done for a sink.

Stefan