[gst-devel] stopping video sets the background to black -- can I change this color?

Stefan Kost ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Mon Nov 1 22:21:42 CET 2010

Am 31.10.2010 21:18, schrieb Erik Blankinship:

> On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Stefan Kost <ensonic at hora-obscura.de
> <mailto:ensonic at hora-obscura.de>> wrote:
>
>     hi,
>
>     Am 31.10.2010 03:55, schrieb Erik Blankinship:
>     > When I set my pipeline to state null (i.e. pressing stop), my xvimagesink (or
>     > ximagesink) changes to the color black.
>     >
>     > Can I set this color?
>     >

>     No, you would need to turn off some things on xvimagesink and manage them
>     yourself. I don't remember exactly which one: "autopaint-colorkey",
>     "handle-expose" - you could check the source of the plugin.
>

> Just toggling those parameters had no effect (except, sometimes the video
> wouldn't show up at all).  And just setting "colorkey" didn't  seem to do
> anything either (but I was real excited for a minute hoping it would work).

Since we implemented the "colorkey" property, only a few drivers actually do
something on it. Anyway that not what you where looking for, as the colorkey is
a color you *don't* want to see.

> Is the idea to listen for x expose events and hide the component?

I said, please check the source: gst_xvimagesink_xwindow_clear() is painting the
window black when going from READY_TO_NULL. It's something we should make
optional I think (and remove at some point). Its also inconsistent as apps would
need to make their video window black initially if they want it to be black.
File a bug?

Stefan