[gst-devel] Regarding GStreamer usage for multiple sessions

Marco Ballesio gibrovacco at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 13:32:22 CET 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 1:53 PM, shibin k <shibin00 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   Thanks for the reply. I understood that with mutiple pipelines, we can
> achieve multiple video sessions. But if I've hundreds of subscribers trying
> to download and decode/parse same or multiple video files simultaneously, we
> will end up creating lot of pipelines and in effect lot of threads right?
> This will effect the performance, isn't it? Please let me know whether
> gstreamer framework is scalable to achieve the scenario I've mentioned here
> and whether the performance will be hit during such scenario?

there are many excellent GStreamer - based apps scaling very well up to
hundreds of threads.

One for all:

http://www.buzztard.org/index.php/Main_Page

Afaik limits are given on how well are the custom elements in your pipeline
written and on your system capacity. For instance, you may have custom -and
not well designed- codec elements or something coming from gst-plugins-bad
(I'm not saying all the stuff there is bad, but imo it's not granted to be
in a good shape).

Regards