[gst-devel] GStreamer on OSX

Squished_Squirrel squished_squirrel at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 23 21:52:05 CET 2010

The gist of this message is: If you don't want to write code, is GStreamer of
any use on OSX?

I had high hopes that GStreamer would solve some live video broadcast issues
I'm having. What I wanted was a way to capture DV video (or MPEG2 HD via
cable box), crop, deinterlace, scale and stream the result to Quicktime
streaming server. I've been using Quicktime Broadcaster, but DV capture in
it is very blurred, and it has no options to crop. EvoLV is nifty, sharp DV,
but again, no crop or deinterlace. Wirecast is just too expensive.

I found the precompiled Binary of GStreamer by Dr. Lui, but after
encountering errors I thought maybe building the latest version that
macports offers would help... didn't make a difference after successfully
building .10.30

After much googling, I found that osxvideosink no longer works from the
shell, so I can't use that as a preview option to test things out. Using X11
to preview fails as well. With even more googling, udpsink doesn't work on
OSX either. Apparently due to IPV6 issues.

Is there any hope of just using gst-launch pipelines to view and stream on
OSX, or does it demand writing java, C, python, etc?