[gst-devel] long pauses during rtsp playback

Ron McOuat rmcouat at smartt.com
Mon Oct 18 21:13:07 CEST 2010

  On the Axis Setup under Video and Image the MPEG4 section should have
a setting called GOV which I believe is the ratio of I frames to P
frames in the stream. On the lower end cameras the GOV can default to as
high as 128 so it can take a while before you see an I frame in the
stream to get the first complete frame. That might be what is causing
the long startup delays. Is your stream the only stream being pulled
from the camera? If your stream is in parallel with another I believe
you join a live stream in progress inside the camera. It is worth a try
to change this setting to see if that changes the startup time.

I would also look at the Simple vs Advanced profile. They are standard
profiles according to the standards bodies but I know Quicktime won't
play the Advanced profile. I haven't used the MP4 streams from Rev 4
Axis cameras with gstreamer much. Maybe I am stating the obvious but it
looks like something has a problem processing the timing headers. Very
odd. I have only looked at the stream on Linux systems which also works
fine for you reading earlier posts.