Encoding Raw video into an mpeg format

Nathanael D. Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Fri Jul 8 09:26:00 PDT 2011

On 07/08/2011 10:08 AM, William Metcalf wrote:
> I am using appsrc to push raw video frames into a gstreamer pipeline. I
> would like to encode these video frames into mpeg format and play them
> on the screen. I am new to playing/encoding live gstreaming video so I
> need some help accomplishing this task.
>
> My plan is to use ffmpegcolorspace and ffenc_mpeg4 to convert and encode
> the video into mp4 format, but then I don't know how to directly pull
> the encoded video and play it on my screen. Will these two elements
> actually work for encoding the raw video into mpeg format, and if they
> will work to encode the video how can I play that video directly to
> screen after encoding.

I can't answer all your questions, however encoded video isn't played to
your screen. All media players decode video prior to displaying on
screen. So you may want to look at the tee elements which allow you to
split a stream. You can split the video (and audio if present) one part
going to your encoder for saving as a mpeg file, the other going to
something like xvimagesink or other video display sinks.

--
Nathanael d. Noblet
t 403.875.4613