GStreamer to combine 2 streams into Side-by-Side Stereo3D?

Nathan Clark nathan at nathanclark.com.au
Sat Jun 25 05:21:58 PDT 2011

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your brilliantly fragmented email! :D
Indeed that was me that contacted you re. your anaglyph filter for
GStreamer.
Its great to hear of your continued enthusiasm! The Apertus Open Source
Cinema Stereoscopic Rig has come quite a way since then!

You can see some test footage on youtube (link 1 below) or vimeo (link 2).
Please excuse the excessive disparity (ie. broken background), I couldnt get
the cameras close together on this occasion.

I have been working closely with Sebastian over at Apertus.org and he has
implemented stereoscopic support into the existing ElphelVision software-
which has enabled us to capture synchronized, raw, stereoscopic footage! The
next step is sorting out a solution for monitoring the cameras on location.

Please don't worry about insulting me, as I can confirm that I am completely
uneducated with regards to programming / development. So my capacity to
develop this small app, as basic as it may be- depends solely on the
patience and assistance of the community!

Luckily, my partner is doing her PHD in stereoscopic cinema and has several,
particularly *geeky* friends. One of whom has agreed to have a look at the
requirements and may be able to assist in developing the tool.

Since my initial email to this mailing list, the scope of the project has
grown to include a live debayering plugin (link 3)- prior to assembling them
into a stereo pair. This process is quite cpu intensive- but it allows us to
shoot and monitor in RAW, which significantly improves the final quality of
image!

Furthermore, I have thought it would be ideal if the resulting stereo pair
could be transcoded to a lower resolution and restreamed over the local
network- for monitoring on less powerful devices.

Finally, the implementation of your anaglyph plug-ins would be the icing on
the cake! I do have concerns, however, about the CPU usage becoming and
issue. (is your anaglyph plugin cpu intensive?)

All in all, the concept has matured considerably, but if it manages to come
into fruition- I belive it will be of great significance to the open source
cinema community!

(Link 1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=popTxxJ4zpo
(Link 2) http://vimeo.com/24735939
(Link 3) http://code.google.com/p/gst-plugins-elphel/

PS #1 ;)
I know this email has gone off on a bit of a tangent- and I apologize for
rambling! but I did think it might be of interest to provide a bit more of a
detailed account of where the project is at the moment!

PS #2
Back on topic now: Hopefully my partners friend will take up the development
of the actual software tool, within which GStreamer will be implemented. He
is a seasoned linux developer and as such will not require any basic
instruction / tuition regarding programming (unlike myself!) But he is not
familiar with GStreamer as of yet, so he will undoubtedly require some
pointers along the way- especially when it comes to the inclusion of your
anaglyph plugin. Would you be happy for me to suggest to him to use this
thread to ask any technical questions of you?