Time delay in setting property & audio mixer element

Pietro Battiston me at pietrobattiston.it
Sun May 29 15:26:55 PDT 2011

Il giorno dom, 29/05/2011 alle 20.38 +0300, Marco Ballesio ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 10:16 PM, Pietro Battiston
> <me at pietrobattiston.it> wrote:
> ..snip..
> > That said, I realize not everyone has a touchscreen at hand, so if you
> > want to reproduce, I modified
> >

> > git clone git://pietrobattiston.it/fingerpicking -b minimal
> > cd fingerpicking
> > python finger.py
> >
> > so that now just clicking/releasing the mouse on the window changes
> > note. On my system, the delay is clearly noticeable.
> >

> ok, tested on my ancient netbook and it's really bad ;)
>
> ..snip..
> >
> > I'm using alsa directly...
> >

> actually, you're using "autoaudiosink", which does not imply the usage
> of alsasink. Besides, if pulseaudio is running on your system, you're
> very likely using it even when you're accessing the audio subsystem
> through the alsa API (this is one of the mighty powers of pulseaudio
> ;) ).
>
> I've replaced autoaudiosink with pulsesink just to get a finer control
> over the sink latencies (see the attached file). Modifying the block
> size, buffer-time and latency-time to low values improved the
> situation a lot on my system.

Well, I should have been clearer: I'm using alsa directly in the sense
that pulseaudio is _not_ installed on my (Debian) system.

I tried to replace the autoaudiosink with an alsasink or alsamixer, but
got a "gst.LinkError: failed to link filter with sink" when trying to
link the previous component to them.

Tomorrow I'll try to understand this issue, for the moment thanks.

Pietro