Element development advice

David Smith david at silentgpu.co.uk
Sun Feb 19 11:27:18 PST 2012

Hi,

I'm beginning research/development into gst elements and wondered if anyone could help guide me in the right direction.

I want to develop a single element that acts as an audio cross over (up to 4 way per channel).  Something along the lines of this diagram.

http://www.lucidchart.com/publicSegments/view/4f381026-baf8-4227-8078-5f710a405da7

As you can see the element would accept up to 8ch and spit out up to 4 channels per input channel depending on the configuration.

The DO_PROCESS block would be parameter driven in the sense that you could build a crossover pipeline per channel from a range of possible crossover related functions available contained within the element.  Such as low pass, high pass filters and biquad eqs.  With this DO_PROCESS pipeline you could build a crossover pipeline to mimic a crossover like the Orion ASP.
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/orion_asp.htm

Is a one element with configurable internal pipeline worth pursuing?  If so, what would be the best way to manage and store the internal pipelines for each channel?  I am imaging a text file containing the pipeline sequence parameters with a drag and drop UI to manage this text file.  The gst element would look for changes in that file and rebuild the internal processing pipeline as necessary.

Let me know you thoughts/ideas.  If you think you can help plan this crossover element then please also get in touch.  We are also looking for gstreamer freelancers that could help out where necessary.

Best wishes,

David.