In-band (private) messages over the network

Olivier Crête olivier.crete at collabora.com
Wed Apr 3 15:06:15 PDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-04-03 at 07:35 -0700, Wes Miller wrote:
> I have two gstgrtpbins on opposite ends of a connection passing pcma/rtp/udp
> data.
>
> If I send a custom downstream event into the sender side pipeline, and don't
> pick it back out, will it be transmitted over the network so it is visible
> to the receiver side?

No, unless it is a force key unit event and you have the right caps.
There is no code to transform other events into RTCP messages. If you
want to send custom information, you have two choices, to can add custom
headers to the RTP packets or you can add APP reports to the RTCP
packets. RTCP packets are less frequent (although there is an API to
generate them on-demand).

And then you can code in the receiver to read those back.

--
Olivier Crête
olivier.crete at collabora.com