building bad plugins

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Mon Apr 15 15:07:50 PDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-04-15 at 16:54 -0400, Chuck Crisler wrote:

> I am getting a compile error when trying to completely build
> plugins-bad-0.10.20.

0.10.20 is from September 2010, is there any reason why you're building
such an ancient version? It's not even the last 0.10 release..

> The problem seems to be that HAVE_CONFIG_H is defined in the project
> seemingly to mean that there is a config.h in the bad plugin root
> directory that the gstreamer modules should include. Unfortunately in
> VP8 the file vpx_codec.h also uses #ifdef HAVE_CONFIG_H to include
> vpx_config.h, which looks like a generated file that isn't generated,
> hence the error. What is the accepted way to get around this?

This is a bug in libvpx, pretty rookie mistake really, I would be
surprised if it wasn't fixed yet.

But this has also been fixed in gst-plugins-bad by the following commit
from May 2010:

commit fd77b419a4cffab6f96c6228870693789ed30c12
Author: Sebastian Dröge <sebastian.droege at collabora.co.uk>
Date:   Thu May 20 09:56:25 2010 +0200

    vp8: Undef HAVE_CONFIG_H before including libvpx headers

    A public libvpx header includes private headers if this is
    defined, causing compilation failures because the private headers
    are not installed of course.

which should be even in -bad 0.10.20 so I don't know what's going on.

Cheers
 -Tim