Audio passthrough

Brendan Long self at brendanlong.com
Wed Dec 4 07:22:32 PST 2013

On 12/04/2013 04:07 AM, Baby Octopus wrote:
> I need to write a script which will transcode set of videos with video
> re-encoded to different bitrate keeping the audio intact. I'm currently
> using decodebin for transcoding both. But decodebin decodes both
>
> One way of doing this is by using decodebin for video and using something
> like .. tee ! qtdemux ! audio/mpeg ! ... for audio. But this needs me to
> know both the mux type as well as audio type beforehand than dynamically
> detecting it
You can tell decodebin not to decode it by making the "caps" property
contain a list of formats you don't want decoded. For example, I think
this would leave Ogg Vorbis audio alone:

gst-launch-1.0 decodebin caps=audio/x-vorbis ! oggmux ! filesink
location=example.ogg

This works because "caps" is decodebin's endpoint, so if it sees
anything in the list, it considers it done decoding. Make sure you also
include normal completely decoded caps (video/x-raw, audio/x-raw,
text/x-raw..).