Ubuntu 13.04 GStreamer 0.10 packages

Robert Krakora rob.krakora at messagenetsystems.com
Mon Jul 22 05:45:35 PDT 2013

Hi Adam,

uvch264_src was never in a release of 0.10 (in 0.10 it is called
uvch264_src and not uvch264src as in 1.x).  You will have to git clone the
gst-plugins-good and gst-plugins-bad 0.10 repositories and then you will
have the uvch264_src plugin and the supporting signalling in the v4l2src
plugin.  I use CentOS and it's GStreamer packages are older than
Methuselah, so I always go with the packages released from the GStreamer
site, or, if so directed as in this instance, git clone repositories.

Best Regards,

Rob Krakora

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 1:42 AM, Adam Goodwin <adam.goodwin.nz at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> So far I've been using GStreamer 1.x, which I've been downloading and
> installing from here:
>
> http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/src/
>
> Now I need to install version 0.10.x, to try some functionality that
> hasn't been ported to 1.x yet.
>
> My Ubuntu installation already has some non-dev 0.10 stuff installed from
> the Ubuntu Software Center (e.g. gstreamer0.10-plugins-good). However the
> listed dev packages only include "libgstreamer0.10-dev",
> "libgstreamer-plugins-base-base0.10-dev". and
> "libgstreamer-plugins-bad0.10-dev".
>
> There doesn't seem to be development library packages for good or ugly,
> and even installing the bad package doesn't seem to give me uvch264src -
> which is what I need.
>
> So first of all does anyone know why there doesn't seem to be a complete
> set of dev packages in Ubuntu Software Center?
>
> Because of this I could simply install 0.1x from source, just as I did
> with version 1.x. That way I could get everything that I need easily.
>
> But I believe I'd have to remove the installed 0.1x packages from Software
> Center first (to avoid conflicts between the different 0.1x installs). The
> problem here is that I have some dependent packages that have to be
> uninstalled if I try to uninstall GStreamer 0.1x from Software Center. And
> I'd rather leave those alone.
>
> So it seems I'm stuck here. It doesn't look like I can get everything I
> need for GStreamer 0.1x from Software Center. But it also doesn't look like
> I can install from source very easily because of possible conflicts with
> 0.1x packages installed from Software Center.
>
> Does anyone know what the best approach I should take is? Can I do
> anything about Software Center's apparent lack of certain GStreamer
> packages? Can I install another 0.1x build from source alongside the ones
> from Software Center? Or is my only option to uninstall the Ubuntu packages
> before installing from source?
>
> Thanks

Rob Krakora
MessageNet Systems