Release 1.1.2: "gst-inspect-1.0: symbol lookup error"

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Mon Jul 22 08:26:29 PDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-07-23 at 03:12 +1200, Adam Goodwin wrote:

Hi Adam,

> After clarification from Robert Krakora regarding uvch264_src in
> version 0.10 (thanks for that bit of info), I've decided to stick with
> the 1.1.2 release for now as I was only missing a couple of
> dependencies of uvch264src - which I have now found.
>

> Unfortunately what I'm now finding is that when I configure, make and
> install GStreamer 1.1.2, there seems to be something quite wrong.
> After installing, running gst-inspect-1.0 gives the following:
>
> gst-inspect-1.0: symbol lookup error: gst-inspect-1.0: undefined
> symbol: _gst_caps_features_memory_system_memory

I'm guessing that you have installed GStreamer from source into the
default prefix /usr/local/lib, and there is also a GStreamer 1.0 from
packages installed into /usr/lib/*.

I'm guessing that the dynamic linker finds and uses the older GStreamer
in /usr/lib/* rather than the newer from-source one.

You can check with:

 ldd /path/to/gst-inspect-1.0

You might need to add /usr/local/lib to your /etc/ld.so.conf* and/or run
sudo ldconfig.

Cheers
 -Tim

> If I "make uninstall" GStreamer, and run the build of gst-inspect-1.0
> from ./tools/gst-inspect-1.0, I get the following:
>
> staticelements:  bin: Generic bin
> staticelements:  pipeline: Pipeline object
>
> Total count: 1 plugin, 2 features
>

> This seems much more reasonable, but I'd like to install GStreamer
> properly. I've burned a few hours trying to get the install to work,
> but I'm having no luck.
>

> I couldn't find the same error mentioned anywhere else, but does
> anyone recognise it or know why it would occur?
>
> I can provide the output from ./configure, make, and make install, but
> it doesn't look like anything went wrong there. I also tried release
> 1.0.8 again and it seemed to install fine, but unfortunately
> uvch264src isn't ported to that release.
>

> If nobody has any ideas I guess I'll just try cloning the 0.10
> repository and hopefully get uvch264_src that way.

Cheers
 -Tim