Hardware decoding on android using GStreamer

Sebastian Dröge slomo at circular-chaos.org
Thu Jun 20 00:16:20 PDT 2013

On Mi, 2013-06-19 at 14:03 -0700, yusuf.husainy wrote:
> Thanks Andoni,
>
> Is androidmedia plugin a decoder in itself, or is it set of different
> plugins?
>
> Also, I could not find some examples on androidmedia used in GStreamerSDK.
> If you know some example code that I can refer to understand, that would be
> wonderful.
>
> What I think is, my pipeline should be something like this--
> udpsrc caps="" ! tsdemux ! queue ! androidmedia(ffdec_h264?) ! eglglessink

It's a plugin similar to gst-omx or gst-libav, which dynamically
registers a lot of elements as available on the system. It's not easy to
guess the actual names of the elements because they depend on the name
of the codecs on your specific device.

If you use decodebin they will be used automatically if possible. Their
names start with amcviddec- and amcauddec-

> Also, this may seem silly, but I do know how to do logging on Desktop Linux
> machines for GStreamer, but I am not that comfortable as yet with android
> environment, so how would I go about logging stuff in android similar to
> what I would see if I would do "$gst-launch -v ...".
>
> Then this would help me getting to know the caps of the decoder and would
> help me analyze my problem.

Check the gst-launch code, what it does there is connecting to the
"deep-notify" signal, which causes all these things to be printed.