playbin2-->gstrtpbin stalls when using RTCP (but fine without)

Paddy pat.blanchon at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 02:51:03 PDT 2013

OK - now I'm just thinking out loud; hoping that something tangible might
come from writing thoughts & ideas down, or at least it'll help someone
else.

I'm using playbin2 to play 4 mkv files, each 2 minutes in length, into the
bin from the 1st post.

With the last case mentioned above - that the playbin2 plays thru' the file
list but no RTP is seen: looking at this in more depth this occurs even tho'
the playbin2 element never gets to the playing state. This is not what I
expected.

I put a buffer probe on the sinkpad of the videorate element to see what
data, if any, was coming out of playbin2.

Between 4 & 7 buffers are seen at the start for each 2 minute file (@25fps)
that's played back, but the timestamps & durations are nonsense: timestamps
of 140406.997s, 140408.588s, 140406.997s, 140406.997s with durations of
0.0129s, 140408.655s, 0.0128s, 0.0128 respectively. Playbin2 moves onto the
next 2 minute file after 4.2s, 4.6s, 57s & 53s (until the EOS as there's no
more files)

So - to verify my position - I repeat the above without RTCP. I see RTP data
but the buffer probe still sees the same bilge as before. So my perception
that RTCP was breaking something was wrong; it's still broken but has
different behaviour.

So - replacing the contents of the bin with "fakesink sync=true" shows
different behaviour again. The buffer probe shows between 4 & 7 buffers at
the start of each 2 min file; again each containing apparent nonsense in
their timestamps & durations. But each 2min file takes 2min to play, & the
buffer probe doesn't see anymore than the initial 4-7 buffers.

Off to thikn some more