RELEASE: GStreamer Core and Plugins 1.2.0

Sebastian Dröge slomo at coaxion.net
Wed Oct 16 11:06:08 CEST 2013

On Di, 2013-10-15 at 23:25 -0700, Gazoo wrote:
> Hey Sebastian and LRN,
>
> Thank you both for responding and curing me of further ignorance. There
> are just a few things I'm still hazy about, so I hoping you won't mind
> helping my understanding a bit more.
>
> As as I see it - my current predicament is that I'd like to use
> GStreamer to stream a small video file on to a texture in OpenGL.
> Gstreamer already has some awesome source code (in the form of
> filters/sinks) that accomplish exactly that. Here come the parts I'm
> still unsure if I'm clear on...
>
> 1) But the specific source code that does this is not present in the
> currently available Win32 compiled release of GStreamer, correct?
> Although a lot of other plugins are - but the GL based plugins have
> perhaps just recently been completed/ or is too esoteric to include in a
> build available for all?

The GL plugins are not available in the binary releases yet. They're
still under heavy development but are already usable for your use case,
only that you would need to build them yourself for now.

Main reason not to include those plugins in the binary releases is that
the library and plugin API and ABI is still not 100% finalized yet (but
we're getting there).

Having your feedback on how well it performs for your use cases, and
what could be improved in the API would help with that of course :)

> 2) Although I really only need to compile the GL based plugins - seeing
> as the rest of Gstreamer comes pre-compiled, it's perhaps easiest to
> recompile the whole thing including the plugins because...? I'm not sure
> why... Perhaps the documentation for compiling it all from the bottom
> applies to the SDK as a whole and is therefore easier to follow?

You could do that, it might be easier but will take much more time.
Alternatively you can just build the GL plugins on top of the existing
binaries, this works just fine too.