RELEASE: GStreamer Core and Plugins 1.2.0

Gazoo gazoo at 42.dk
Wed Oct 16 08:25:45 CEST 2013

Hey Sebastian and LRN,

Thank you both for responding and curing me of further ignorance. There
are just a few things I'm still hazy about, so I hoping you won't mind
helping my understanding a bit more.

As as I see it - my current predicament is that I'd like to use
GStreamer to stream a small video file on to a texture in OpenGL.
Gstreamer already has some awesome source code (in the form of
filters/sinks) that accomplish exactly that. Here come the parts I'm
still unsure if I'm clear on...

1) But the specific source code that does this is not present in the
currently available Win32 compiled release of GStreamer, correct?
Although a lot of other plugins are - but the GL based plugins have
perhaps just recently been completed/ or is too esoteric to include in a
build available for all?

2) Although I really only need to compile the GL based plugins - seeing
as the rest of Gstreamer comes pre-compiled, it's perhaps easiest to
recompile the whole thing including the plugins because...? I'm not sure
why... Perhaps the documentation for compiling it all from the bottom
applies to the SDK as a whole and is therefore easier to follow?

3) Finally, I guess this only applies to LRN - you mentioned Sbuild.
Seems nice, but if I understand the system correctly, it eases building
stuff it's pre-configured for? However, I couldn't spot the GL plugins
being mentioned in the pre-configurations, so I'd also be trying to get
that to work I'm guessing?

Thanks!
Gazoo