Stitching multiple videos to a single video with tiles

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas.dufresne at collabora.com
Fri Sep 27 07:54:30 PDT 2013

Le jeudi 26 septembre 2013 à 23:28 -0700, Baby Octopus a écrit :

> Just wondering if any element can do the job of stitching multiple raw
> videos to a single video with multiple tiles. This process is
> basically
> called multiviewing. I'm looking for something like this -
> http://broadcastandfilm.com/products/Cinegy%20to%20launch%20version%
> 209/Cinegy-Multiviewer.jpg

I know the videomixer can handle this (no need for videobox anymore).
You could have a still image (see imagefree) stream for the text and
background decoration, each sources would be scaled down to the require
sized and place on screen using the xpos, ypos and zorder properties of
videomixer pads. If you want to go further then that, I'd recommend
using gst-editing-services. To help you start, here's a gst-launch-1.0
command that simply put two videos side-by-side. Take note that default
background, "checker", is a bit expensive in CPU so consider changing
this setting to a solid color, white, back and transparent are
available.

gst-launch-1.0 videotestsrc ! video/x-raw,width=160,height=120 ! m.sink_0 \
               videotestsrc ! video/x-raw,width=160,height=120 ! m.sink_1 \
                 videomixer name=m sink_1::xpos=160 ! video/x-raw,width=320,height=120 ! xvimagesink

cheers,
Nicolas

p.s. there is a lot of room for optimisation in this software mixer, so
feel free to jump in.