rtsp server from android to pc

yoyosuper8 yoyosuper8 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 30 15:09:06 PDT 2013

So, I've implemented the following code from this example I found online:

  GMainLoop *loop;
  GstRTSPServer *server;
  GstRTSPMediaMapping *mapping;
  GstRTSPMediaFactory *factory;

  gst_init (&argc, &argv);
  loop = g_main_loop_new (NULL, FALSE);
  server = gst_rtsp_server_new ();
  mapping = gst_rtsp_server_get_media_mapping (server);
  factory = gst_rtsp_media_factory_new ();
  gst_rtsp_media_factory_set_launch (factory,
        "( videotestsrc is-live=1 ! x264enc ! rtph264pay name=pay0 pt=96
)");

  gst_rtsp_media_factory_set_shared (factory, TRUE);
  gst_rtsp_media_mapping_add_factory (mapping, "/test", factory);
  g_object_unref (mapping);
  gst_rtsp_server_attach (server, NULL);
  g_main_loop_run (loop);

My app is able to launch and it seems to be working, since the android app
does not crash :)
In my terminal I look into the android device to see the open ports
available or listening by executing the command $ cat /proc/net/tcp and I
see that my device is listening on port 8554 which is the port coded for
rtsp-server to use. I then try to use vlc to connect to it as such:
rtsp://192.168.1.11:8554/test but I get an error saying "live555 error:
Failed to connect with rtsp://192.168.1.11:8554/test"
However, as vlc is trying to connect, I check the network connections on my
android device and I see that my laptop is attempting or made a connection
with my device because I see it when I run "cat /proc/net/tcp"
So why is it failing? Does any one have any clue?

Thank you
Andy