Portable version of GStreamer 1.5.2 on Windows

Harry mckameh at wanadoo.fr
Fri Aug 21 05:19:23 PDT 2015

I am trying to setup on Windows a portable installation of our 32-bit application, which is to include GStreamer.

I have naively included in my folder all the GStreamer DLLs from "...\GStreamer\1.0\x86\bin".
The result was : "First-chance exception in my.exe (LIBGLIB-2.0-0.DLL): 0xC0000005: Access Violation".

I then deleted the GStreamer DLLs from my folder, installed "gstreamer-1.0-x86-1.5.2.msi" and added the "bin" folder to the PATH, and then everything worked fine.

I have tried to capture the GStreamer installation, and have identified at least this registry location being updated :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\GStreamer1.0\x86
where the InstallDir key contains the installation directory.
However, adding these registry keys, with InstallDir set to my installation directory, has not improved anything.

What else is missing ?
Is the above registry key really necessary ?

In short, how to create a portable installation for GStreamer (or semi-portable if some registry work is required).