Transmit absolute time

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Tue Oct 13 07:57:05 PDT 2015

On Di, 2015-10-13 at 16:34 +0200, Pietro Bonfa' wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to rewrite an application which deals with synchronized
> videos using gstreamer.
> I have a series of raspberries synchronized with a precise time
> protocol server.
> In my old application I was able to send frames with time-stamps
> related to the global clock. Is there a way to do something similar
> with gstreamer? This looks to me the only (accurate and reliable) way
> of estimating the time differences between the various frames.
>
> I tried other approaches (rtsp for example) but I cannot obtain the
> same accuracy (better than 5ms) that I have with my original code.

Media transport (RTSP) and clock synchronisation (PTP) are two
orthogonal problems :) You can also use a PTP clock together with RTSP.

Is your goal to synchronise multiple receivers? Or synchronise sending
from multiple senders? Or to transfer accurate timestamps as metadata?

You probably want to watch my talk from this year's GStreamer
conference once the videos are uploaded. It was about exactly this
topics :)