Appsink output data

Matthew Waters ystreet00 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 15:24:39 PDT 2015

appsink just provides data in whatever format is given to it.  Qt 5.5
(the latest) still has GStreamer 0.10 support by default which has been
unmaintained for over 3 years and the last release was over 4 years
ago.  If you're open to upgrading to GStreamer 1.0 there are a couple of
options to have a look at.

1. qmlglsink - If you write your application in QML, you can use a ready
made sink that will "Just Work".  There are some nuances to getting it
to compile on all the Qt platforms due to Qt's reliance on qmake.
2. glupload ! appsink - This will upload your data into OpenGL textures
that can be retrieved from the appsink.  appsink also now uses a
GstSample in 1.x which contains the caps (such as the format) as well as
the buffer.  You would have to be careful with object lifetimes and
OpenGL context object synchronisation though.
3. Write your own GStreamer element that renders to a
QImage/QWidget/QGLWidget - much harder than the previous options but
would still be a worthwhile exercise.

Hope that helps

Cheers
-Matt