Help for writing a hw codec plugin

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Thu Feb 18 08:07:34 UTC 2016

On Do, 2016-02-18 at 14:29 +0800, Jung Zhao wrote:
> Hi all,
> Sorry for responding late.
> I have port hw codec driver to ffmpeg. You can find them in this url:
>
>         https://github.com/rockchip-linux/ffmpeg
>
> Now I try to use gst-ffmpeg plugin to port this ffmpeg version to gstreamer.

It's usually not a good idea trying to use hardware related codecs from
ffmpeg via gst-ffmpeg/gst-libav. It's not going to work well because of
another layer of abstractions and different abstractions. You would
have to change a lot in gst-libav to map between the two APIs.

Better would be to write a native GStreamer plugin that directly uses
your hardware codec APIs.

> One serious question is that I can return dma_fd or decoded data. dma_fd
> is a descriptor which linked to a buffer allocated by libdrm, this is
> very efficient
> but less universality. decoded data is in low efficient and fps may
> lower than 60,
> but this way is more universality and many software can use the plugin directly
> without any modifications. Is there any suggestion about balance the efficient
> and universality?

This is dmabuf? GStreamer has support for dmabuf in various places
already and a generic API for dmabuf handling in libgstallocators.