BGRA for omxh264enc and omxh264dec

Peter Maersk-Moller pmaersk at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 04:39:25 UTC 2016

Hi Sebastian.

Looking into the to the problem of converting and/or resize I420 or NV12
output from the omxh264dec (and others), there seem to be ways to both
convert to other raw formats as well as perhaps resize the output all using
the GPU.

The OpenMAX Il-component *video_splitter *(input port 250, output ports
251-254 - only one is needed) can take input as I420 and output as
OMX_COLOR_Format32bitARGB8888 or OMX_COLOR_Format32bitBGRA8888 (one of
which I believe is called a byte stream of R, G, B and A bytes (RGBA)) and
possibly OMX_COLOR_Format24bitRGB888 or OMX_COLOR_Format24bitBGR888 (one of
which is believed to be RGB). I'm not sure it can do both RGB(A) and BGR(A).

Anyway, it should be possible to connect the encoder's port 131 to the
video_splitter's port 250, set the splitter port 250 format to I420,
perhaps provide buffers for this, set the splitter port 251 to RGBA or RGB
and feed it data buffers from downstream (perhaps shm) for zero-copying. An
of course the video_splitter component has to be started and prepared for
state chage etc.

For video resizing (and conversion) the OpenMAX image component *resize*
can take I420 input on port 60 AND scale AND convert to image formats such
as RGBA and RGB (I am 95% sure) and output these to output port 61 on data
buffers from downstreams (perhaps shm).

All this of course applies to the other omxXXXdec modules.

The same should be possible for the input for omxh264enc and the other
encoders in a way so the encoders can take I420/RGB/RGBA at any size and
the decoders can output I420/RGB/RGBA at any size.

The "any size" may be to take it to far. There are some restrictions for
either the encoder and the decoder. For one of them, the width and height
must both be even numbers and for the other, both must be a multipla of 16.
I just don't know if you can link OpenMAX video modules to OpenMAX image
modules. At least some timing may be set and controlled out-of-band when
going over an image module .... perhaps.

I tried looking to the GStreamer code, but I can't really see where to add
the functionality and I am still struggling with the very poorly documented
OpenMAX examples and docs.

I hope this is worth looking at. Especailly converting from I420 to RGBA
for is nearly impossible on the Pi-platform for 720p and quite impossible
for 1080p with the current gstreamer version, conversion alone take a lot
of CPU not really present.

Does it help to open a ticket for an improvement?

Best regards
Peter Maersk-Moller