New to GStreamer have setup questions

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Fri Sep 23 14:21:14 UTC 2016

On Do, 2016-09-22 at 22:06 -0700, rick b wrote:
> Hi all.
> I'm trying to get up and running with GStreamer so I can do some development
> against it.  I've noticed that there is https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/
> > and then there is the GStreamer-SDK website http://www.gstreamer.com/.
>
> Which site is more active regarding keeping the code base up to date?

gstreamer.com is basically dead and completely outdated (+3 years now).
It also has no connection to the GStreamer project, which has
gstreamer.freedesktop.org as the official website.

> My next question is more about getting help getting gstreamer setup on
> Ubuntu. I've not found instructions yet that are easy (for me) to follow and
> understand.  I've tried several different ways to get this setup so that
> includes end up in the proper includes folder, libraries end up in the
> proper libs folder.

On Ubuntu you would usually just install the packages included in
Ubuntu, and develop against them. To get the proper include paths and
library paths, and libraries to link to, you use pkg-config like with
basically all other modern libraries. Qt's qmake has direct support for
that, and it should also be available via e.g. QtCreator. I don't know
about Eclipse though.