can I add a new input pad to a running audiomixer?

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Thu Aug 10 08:02:30 UTC 2017

On Wed, 2017-08-09 at 18:45 -0700, Andres Gonzalez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an audiomixer working where I am mixing several audio feeds that are
> originating from decklink SDI interfaces (non-GStreamer implementation for
> the SDI interfaces). Each of the input pads to the audiomixer has an appsrc
> preceding it. All of these inputs to the mixer are configured before the
> mixer starts running. I now want to add dynamic inputs to this mixer, that
> is, add a new mixer input/pad while the mixer is running.
>
> Question: How does creating a new input pad effect a running mixer?  Is this
> even possible or am I opening up a can of worms by even thinking of doing
> so?

It's possible and it affects the audiomixer only as much as every other
existing pad does. You only have to be careful when all previous pads
were non-live and the new one is live, or the other way around. That
might not work as expected. Or if pads are live and the latency is
changing now. In those cases some additional things will have to be
done.

--
Sebastian Dröge, Centricular Ltd · https://www.centricular.com