Can't get rtpbin to work AT ALL

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Wed Jul 12 05:51:40 UTC 2017

On Tue, 2017-07-11 at 16:24 -0400, Stirling Westrup wrote:
> I'm working on a design for a video system based on rtp. The plan is
> to have an rtp server with database of videos. It will support an .an
> rtsp connection that one can use to request videos to play, and
> clients to play them on.
>
> All of the chosen clients need to play the exact same video in as
> close synchronization as we can manage.
>
> From my reading it seems like rtpbin should form part of the
> solution, but I can't get it to work. So far every single example of
> an rtpbin use that I've been able to find, in the documentation, or
> in help forums, fails to run. The best that I've been able to achieve
> is to simply have two pipelines running, that fail to pass any data
> between them.
>
> Could someone please give me a pair of pipelines I can start with
> gst-launch to pass some sort of video data from one pipeline to the
> next on the same machine, and using rtpbin?
>
> Or, if for some reason that isn't possible, could someone explain WHY
> its not possible, and what extra functionality is needed?

Did you try the examples at
  https://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-plugins-good/tree/tests/examples/rtp

For example client-PCMA.sh and server-alsasrc-PCMA.sh are about
the simplest you can do with rtpbin while including RTCP.

How does it not work for you, can you check with wireshark if packets
are being sent and where, and with netstat if the applications are
listening on the right IPs/ports?
What could happen for example is that udpsink is sending to ::1 (IPv6),
while udpsrc is listening on 127.0.0.1 (IPv4) or the other way around.