GStreamer, C++, and MPEGTS

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Tue Sep 12 13:15:06 UTC 2017

On Tue, 2017-09-12 at 15:18 +0300, Sebastian Dröge wrote:
[…]

> Plugins generally don't have bindings, except for some bindings that
> provide convenience API for various core plugins.

I had sort of assumed that. Plugins are loaded dynamically and so a compile-
time language binding can only have the "meta-API" – which is why some
gstreamermm stuff is deprecated I suspect.

> Do you mean the MPEG-TS library from gst-plugins-bad? I don't think
> there are bindings in gstreamermm for that, but they could be added if
> someone wants. Most of the bindings are autogenerated so that shouldn't
> be too much work.
> Same story as for all the other bindings except for the ones generated
> at runtime (Python, JavaScript, ...).

Very much the MPEG-TS stuff.

In C++ with gstreamermm, it seems impossible to use MPEG-TS at all currently
because a Glib::RegPtr<Gst::Message> in the bus callback method cannot deliver
the contained pointer to pass to the C functions.

The gstreamermm package on Debian Sid appears to have various of the enums
from the plugin sources available, which makes it seem as though someone has
started trying to do something, but not really got far enough for usability.

I did try cloning and building the gstreamermm Git repository from GitHub, but
it seems there is stuff you need to have in place to get past Stage 0, and it
is Autotools not Meson, and there are very few instructions.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk