AW: Me TV, playbin, and MPEG streams

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Wed Dec 19 15:34:08 UTC 2018

Bernhard,

Thanks for chipping in, much appreciated.

> If you want to implement something like time shift, MP4 isn't a nice idea
> for that, because MP4 is written the timing information at last (while
> closing it). Therefore it's not possible to write and read a mp4-file in the
> same time.
> I'm using mp2ts for that, because the timestamps are written in the stream.
> Therefore it's possible to jump forward/backward in the stream, while
> recoding it.

I wasn't thinking of pausing live streams as PVRs can do, but now you mention
it, that is a spiffing idea. I shall add it to the list of things to think
about. I suspect it isn't going to be possible with the current architecture,
but it is something to think about nonetheless.

The user requirement (*) turns out just to be scheduled recording. In the
spirit of keeping things small and simple I am going to do this as a separate
application rather than adding things to the live player. This means just
taking the DVB feed and generating an MPEG4 file given a start time and either
an end time or a duration.

I think this gets round the problem you are describing – though for live
stream pausing the problem is crucial.

(*) Unbelievably perhaps, Me TV actually has users other than me. OK only
about 7, but they keep coming out of the woodwork with requests for things in
Me TV!

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200