Decode with vaapi in headless environment

Andressio www.andreabertolaso at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 12:11:41 UTC 2019

I have a pc with ubuntu 18.04 where I've installed gstreamer 1.14.1 from
repository. This pc is connected to an IP camera from which I receive a h264
stream via rtsp. I'm using the following pipeline for
testing:/gst-launch-1.0 rtspsrc
location="rtsp://root:root@192.168.0.91:554/axis-media/media.amp?videocodec=h264&resolution=3840x2160&compression=0&clock=0&date=0&fps=25&videokeyframeinterval=10&videobitrate=0&camera=1"
protocols=GST_RTSP_LOWER_TRANS_TCP latency=0 ! rtph264depay ! queue !
vaapih264dec ! videoconvert ! video/x-raw, format=BGR ! fakesink
dump=true/and everything works fine, I can see the dumped data (if I attach
a display sink I can see the stream). If I run the command /gst-inspect-1.0
vaapi/ I can see 16 features and vaapih264dec is included.As long as I am
logged on this pc for testing everything's good. But this pc must work
remotely and an application using a similar pipeline should run without the
need to be logged in. So without logging in I've connected to the pc via ssh
but the same pipeline returns me the error/WARNING: erroneous pipeline: no
element "vaapih264dec"/and the command /gst-inspect-1.0 vaapi/ shows 0
features.As suggested in  this similar post
<http://gstreamer-devel.966125.n4.nabble.com/Headless-VA-API-hardware-accelerated-H-264-video-encoding-with-vaapih264enc-td4688424.html>
I've tried to put /DISPLAY= WAYLAND_DISPLAY=/ in front of the pipeline but
still, same result.I then proceeded to build gstreamer (1.15.2) from source
building gstreamer-vaapi only with drm (/--enable-drm=yes --enable-x11=no
--enable-glx=no --enable-wayland=no --enable-egl=no/) and for what I can see
it compiled and installed correctly. Compiled also the intel driver i965.
Via ssh I've exported the following environment variable to be sure not to
conflict with old gstreamer from repo: /PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH,
LIBVA_DRIVERS_PATH, LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME/ but still i get /no element
"vaapih264dec"/ and /gst-instpect/ shows 0 features.Do you have any
suggestions?Many thanks