gst-plugins-bad 1.14.5 and new GstMpegtsCableDeliverySystemDescriptor type

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Mon Jul 8 13:50:38 UTC 2019

On Mon, 2019-07-08 at 14:15 +0200, Valentin David wrote:

> When trying to update gst-plugins-bad to 1.14.5 on Freedesktop SDK, we
> found out that some functions were added in a library that is publicly
> linkable (libgstmpegts-1.0.so).
>
> This is an issue for us, because we cannot be certain that an
> application built against a new version of the SDK will never try to
> run against an older version of the runtime.

New symbols could always be added as part of bugfixes in minor
releases. There were also some added in 1.14.1 for example, if I
remember correctly.

Why is this a problem for your setup?

> It is claimed that 1.14.5 only fixes bugs. But I do not find reference
> to any bug in commits 982f839486fba2536cd21fc45d0f65b6fcfcc3ea and
> 1f5711a8bd1ac403ad53f66da831d51f4c959084.

Without this, bindings can't make use of the types in question.

> We also found out that reverting those two commits, everything still
> compiles.
>
> I would like to know what would be the implication of manually
> reverting those commits in our build to provide 1.14.5 to our users.
> What bugs will not be fixed?

See above, and you would also ship a version of GStreamer 1.14.5 to
your users that has an incompatible API with the real 1.14.5 release.

--
Sebastian Dröge, Centricular Ltd · https://www.centricular.com