Questions about MSVC build

Nirbheek Chauhan nirbheek.chauhan at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 21:40:15 UTC 2019

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 2:55 AM David Ing <ding at panopto.com> wrote:

> I have been looking at the msvc build for 1.16.0 and I noticed that a lot of things are missing compared to the mingw build.

What things have you noticed to be missing? The MSVC build is almost
entirely feature-complete. Note that the DLL naming is different in
the MSVC build, as noted on the download page. Instead of libfoo.dll
everything built with MSVC is foo.dll instead.

> My questions are:
>
> Is someone keeping a list of things which are not being built with the MSVC build?
>
> If so where is it?

The full list is here:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/cerbero/issues/121

> Is someone actively working on improving the MSVC build (so that it becomes fully featured)?
>
> If so, when might we expect a fully featured MSVC build?

I am not aware of anyone doing this for the plugins listed in the
issue above. You're welcome to start working on it if you wish to :)

> Has anyone experimented with adding MINGW components as stand-ins for the missing components of the MSVC build?
>
> Is that likely to work if I tried it?

This is already the case for the majority of plugins with external
dependencies which are still built with Autotools and MinGW.

Cheers,
Nirbheek