Dropped packets between tsparse and rtpmp2tpay when sending TS file

Samuel Hurst samuelh at rd.bbc.co.uk
Tue Sep 1 10:46:13 UTC 2020

Hello All,

I'm currently trying to do some performance comparisons between
different streaming protocols and have hit a snag with RTP. I have the
following simple sending pipeline:

filesrc location=test.ts ! tsparse set-timestamps=true ! rtpmp2tpay !
rtpsink address=...

The tsparse is important, as I'm using the logging output from this to
calculate an equivalent of glass-to-glass latency at the receiving end.

However, I discovered that I was getting a lot of discontinuity warnings
and decoder errors at the receiver, which after looking at all the RTP
timestamps coming out of tsparse and matching them with timestamps being
processed by rtpmp2tpay, there's a lot missing.

I've tried adding a queue between the elements and that doesn't help.
Does anyone else have any other ideas?

Best Regards,
Sam