Windows questions.

gotsring gotsring at live.com
Wed Jan 6 20:18:45 UTC 2021

I just started using Gstreamer on Windows also. I'm using the 1.18.2 MSVC
64-bit binaries from the GStreamer download page. I haven't messed with
altering GStreamer plugins themselves, so someone else will have to talk on
ONVIF support.

Jeff Shanab wrote
> 1) Are gst-plugins-bad only available on windows if you build from source?

Doing a complete install of the runtime and dev installers, I have plugins
bad out of the box (I'm using h264parse). However, I don't see anything
onvif-related either, so may be OS-dependent?

Jeff Shanab wrote
> 2) Is there a separate package, artifactory, etc for plugin binaries and
> headers?

The runtime installer only really has binary files (there are some other
misc items). To develop anything using GStreamer, you should also run the
development installer.  Just double-check your environment variables and
PATH to make sure everything is being found (easiest to just install to
C:\gstreamer). FYI, when I did a "Complete" install, the install directory
was something else; I had to change it to C:\gstreamer

Jeff Shanab wrote
> 3) Are plugins on top of core and can be built in VS, or do we need the
> entire meson/MSYS2 build
>    A) I do not know how to build GStreamer on Windows. Last try went
> horribly wrong with old instructions. :-(

To develop anything WITHIN GStreamer, I believe you have to build with
Cerbero and target Visual Studio. I used the build instructions in the
README without issue, it just took a while. Last I heard, Cerbero is how the
binaries are produced for the download page, so I think this is the
recommended build process. Last I tried meson, it sort of worked, but I
didn't mess with it that much.