Cannot play a 4K mkv content with v4l2h265dec plugin

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Mon Mar 22 20:50:41 UTC 2021

Le lundi 22 mars 2021 à 14:34 -0500, karimchtx a écrit :
> Hi Nicolas,
>
> Thanks for your quick reply.
> You're definitly right in your analysis.
> A couple hours after my posts, I've slightly changed my pipeline as
> following:
>
>  gst-launch-1.0 -v filesrc location=/media/sda1/solo.mkv  ! video/x-matroska
> ! aiurdemux  ! h265parse ! v4l2h265dec !  imxvideoconvert_g2d ! ! queue !
> waylandsink
>

> You were right, I needed an explicit plugin before waylandsink for the
> conversion.
> But:
>
> at first sight, it works.
> But the video is sometime freezing during many seconds...(but gstreamer
> doesn't crash).
> Regarding the CPU, the vpu is effectively working.
> I can't figure out how to explain the "freezing" sequences.
>
> I tried to play the same media within souphttpsrc, it's working as well but
> the playback is still stuttering in "fast sequences" of the movie.
>
> And finally, I just can't figure ou what's happening and how could I debug /
> monitor the plugins task.

Few things to try:

Add queues before/after your decoder, to help parallelism and mimic what playbin
would do. Try and make sure imxvideoconvert_g2d runs in zero-copy. Try and
change aiurdemux with matroskademux, just in case the NXP demuxer have timing
issues (that being said, it's quite good for a downstream demuxer). You may want
to test with fakevideosink to make sure you decoder is keeping up, as if it's
already the case, you can start looking at graphics.