Instruct an autoplugger to re-run typefinding again

Eslam Ahmed eslam.ahmed at avidbeam.com
Sun Sep 26 15:12:15 UTC 2021

Hi,

With respect to the following:
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/gstreamer-devel/2021-September/079038.html

The current caps of `mytypedemux` are as follows:

```
Pad Templates:
  SRC template: 'src'
    Availability: Always
    Capabilities:
      video/x-h264
          stream-format: byte-stream
              alignment: au

  SINK template: 'sink'
    Availability: Always
    Capabilities:
      video/x-mytype
```

When `mytypedemux` receives the CAPS event, I set the src caps statically
to h264 regardless of the input caps.

Now, what if I want to support more codecs? Can I instruct the auto-plugger
(uridecodebin) to re-run typefinding again after `mytypedemux` because at
this point I want this metadata tagging system to work across all codecs
and that I need not care about what `mytypemux` has prepending its metadata
to.

One silly idea is to have a type for every codec that we want to support
(e.g. video/x-mytype-h264 video/x-mytype-h265 etc.) and use that at the
`mytypemux` to infer a proper output caps and use it again to infer the
proper output caps at `mytypedemux`.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Best Regards,
Eslam Ahmed