ACPI "special" button device, and Toshiba specific bits

Timo Hoenig thoenig at suse.de
Thu Dec 1 12:36:16 PST 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 20:27 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:

> > > Ohh yes it is :-) Some Toshibas have button mappings different to each
> > > other, and some have buttons that don't exist. Plus keeping it in the
> > > FDI lets us re-map buttons (such as F1 = Lock) without enforcing the
> > > policy in the addon.
> >
> > This is wrong.
> >
> > The mapping for (hotkey symbol) -> (HCI value) is the same for all
> > Toshiba laptops.
> >
> > Re-mapping keys is not necessary.  The amount of hotkeys may differ; but
> > not the meaning of the hotkeys' symbols.
>
> Oh, you are most probably correct, I'm only basing my opinion on one
> (sketchy) report.

Sketchy report?  Why didn't you note that before?  One might take your
comment seriously.

Anyway, please verify the report to be sketchy.  I'd be most interested
in the result.

> I still think this should stay in a FDI file so we can
> trivially add new buttons (as toshiba add them ;-))

The mappings provided by IAL should be complete, go ahead and fetch it.
This list of mappings evolved over several years thanks to many
contributors using FnFX, and IAL.

> Richard.

   Timo