improving digital camera detection

Pozsar Balazs pozsy at uhulinux.hu
Sat Jan 15 06:21:19 PST 2005

Hello all,

I was playing around with hal+gnome-volume-manager+gthumb, and I found
the file /usr/share/hal/fdi/20freedesktop/sony_dsc.fdi, which I think,
could be highly improved.

In the end, I created three new .fdi file which I think worth applying
into the default hal config.

ptp.fdi:
  If an USB device's interface indicates that it is an PTP device, then
  it is a camera.

massstorage.fdi:
  This is a trickier one. If the USB device's interface indicates it is
  a Mass Storage device, then we set the camera.access_method key to
  "storage", BUT we do not set the info.capabilities or info.category.
  This way, if the device is marked as a camera somewhere else, it will
  have the proper camera.access_method key/value pair.

libgphoto2.fdi
  This is a bit ugly.
  Basically, it is a collection of the usb id's of various digital
  cameras known by libghoto-2.1.5. (It is though a much better start,
  than the single sony_dsc.fdi...)
  I have created the file using a little script, which I have also
  encapsulated in the xml as a comment for later reference, so it won't
  get lost.

Please consider using these files, and/or comment on them.

--
pozsy