A minor problem w/ access to my flash drive

Alexey Morozov alex-hp at idisys.iae.nsk.su
Mon Jan 24 00:17:04 PST 2005

Hello!

Sjoerd Simons writes:

>  Hal checks every second (or every 2, dunno exactly) if there is a media change
>  on the driver, this could be the reason your seeing that behaviour.  On my
>  usbstick is see the light flash everytime hal polls :)

But why?? I always thought that USB devices have true notification
model, so a device exists till appropriate disconnect event is received.
Yes, I know, sometimes these connect/disconnects events are sent /almost
randomly/ for certain devices (my APC BackUPS CS 500 is one of these),
but I never heard that a devices could be unplugged w/o proper
notification...

Is there a way to change this behaviour for this particular type of
devices w/o becoming the real HAL hacker? And again this behaviour is
device-specific, I just was told that another flash on another computer
doesn't behave that way. Unfortunately this computer is 3K km's far
away, so I can't change the computer/flash drive combination quickly ;-)

>  The right way is to unmount the driver before pulling it out. When the umount
>  is finished the data should be safely on the drive.

I'm sorry, but this way sucks. Not only because I have to stop all
programs being accessing the device even for read only (including those
running in another user session), but also because I have to explain all
this to my family which have already got used to, hmm, carelessly pull
out all existing removeable devices, from diskettes to still camera. And
this works so far... So I'd like to heard how to fix HAL rather than to
fix ourselves :-)

Alexey Morozov