A minor problem w/ access to my flash drive

Pozsar Balazs pozsy at uhulinux.hu
Mon Jan 24 02:23:48 PST 2005

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 02:17:04PM +0600, Alexey Morozov wrote:
> > Hal checks every second (or every 2, dunno exactly) if there is a media
> > change
> > on the driver, this could be the reason your seeing that behaviour.  On my
> > usbstick is see the light flash everytime hal polls :)
> >

> But why?? I always thought that USB devices have true notification
> model, so a device exists till appropriate disconnect event is received.
> Yes, I know, sometimes these connect/disconnects events are sent /almost
> randomly/ for certain devices (my APC BackUPS CS 500 is one of these),
> but I never heard that a devices could be unplugged w/o proper
> notification...
>
> Is there a way to change this behaviour for this particular type of
> devices w/o becoming the real HAL hacker? And again this behaviour is
> device-specific, I just was told that another flash on another computer
> doesn't behave that way. Unfortunately this computer is 3K km's far
> away, so I can't change the computer/flash drive combination quickly ;-)

There is notification about usb removal. So far so good.

The problem is, if you plug in an usb card reader you do not get
notification about plugging/unplugging card into/from it. That's why hal
polls these devices. It cannot distinguish a card reader and an usb
stick from which you cannot remove the "media".

Maybe hal could have a list about non-card-readers, and not poll them?
(whitelisting). That would seem a good idea to me.

So it would not poll devices it knows it doesnt need to.

--
pozsy