Belkin 8-in-1

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Jan 26 11:29:13 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 17:41 +0000, Bob Billing wrote:
> > No, because we established there was no bug, right? What we do want
> > to do in the future is to get .fdi files like the one you sent
> > so we can choose the mount point from that (e.g. choose
> > /media/compact_flash rather than /media/usbdisk). I'll add that
> > to HEAD when that is ready.
>
> Can I make a suggestion here? Rather than trying to list all known
> devices could we be more general?
>
> If a device has multiple luns, and they are described by different text
> strings, use the part of the string that changes instead of a number to
> identify the slot. So we'd get /dev/usbdisk-sm /dev/usbdisk-cf and so on.

You mean /media/usbdisk-sm I presume. You can do this today; check out
the

 /usr/share/hal/fdi/20freedesktop/ide-drives.fdi

file on your system (basically use the contains_ncase matching
directive).
If you want this upstream in hal, the .fdi file needs to merge

 storage.drive_type = compact_flash
 ..

since we want to separate identifying drives from policy. This means
we'll need to write a patch for

 /usr/share/hal/fdi/90defaultpolicy/storage-policy.fdi

to merge the right value to volume.policy.desired_mount_point depending
on the value on storage.drive_type. If you send the former .fdi file
I can patch the latter.

> Practically that would suit me better. What I'd like to be able to do is
> build something into my "digital darkroom" package that lets the user
> select "import from CF card" or "export to SM card" with minimum pain,
> regardless of the order in which the cards are plugged in.
>
> On the subject of .fdi files here is one that mounts the Pentax IstD
> digital camera as /dev/pentax.
>
> <deviceinfo version="0.2">
>    <device>
>      <match key="info.bus" string="block">
>        <match key="@block.storage_device:info.vendor" string="PENTAX">
>
>          <match key="@block.storage_device:info.product"
> string="DIGITAL_CAMERA">
>            <merge key="storage.drive_type" type="string">Pentax</merge>
>            <merge key = "volume.policy.desired_mount_point" type =
> "string">pentax</merge>
>          </match>
>
>        </match>
>      </match>
>    </device>
> </deviceinfo>

This can't go upstream as it sets policy; we should probably introduce
camera as a valid value for storage.drive_type and fix the policy fdi
for selecting the appropriate mount point name (e.g. /media/camera).

Btw, if you don't already know, many cameras use the libgphoto2
userspace driver so they can't be mounted into the file system.

David